Project Scientist - R&D
Satelytics is seeking a self-driven, highly motivated remote sensing scientist to join our Research and Development Team. We seek leaders who wish to help us define a new market, applying geospatial analytics to a wide variety of energy industry challenges and extracting new insights from remote sensing data sources.
The ideal candidate will:
- be familiar with a wide range of remote sensing imagery, applications, and processing workflows
- demonstrate an ability to go beyond what textbooks say is possible
- be a creative problem-solver, not a list-follower
This position involves innovating new solutions that quickly deliver actionable results to our customers. The Research and Development Team is charged with blazing new trails — creating new algorithms that enhance our “many solutions from one dataset” mantra.
The position requires experience in a scripting language (typically R or Python), fundamental GIS skills, and in-depth image analysis experience. Successful candidates will have proven experience in remote sensing and GIS through education or work experience and be familiar with applied statistics.
The position is located on-site in Perrysburg, Ohio and reports to the Head of Research and Development.
- Paid Time off
- 401(k) with matching
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Research and innovation
- Approach challenges creatively through a combination of experience, literature reviews, and innovation
- Use commercial and publicly available imagery to develop, test, and implement new algorithms
- Understand and execute accuracy tests on all algorithms and explain results to management, others within the organization, and/or clients
- Assist others in the organization with remote sensing needs, education, or troubleshooting
- Communicate ideas for improvements and new algorithms
- Occasionally serve as an expert during client meetings
- Data management and quality assurance
- Work with the Professional Services Team to supply accurately referenced and formatted project deliverables
- Review feedback from customers, project leaders, and colleagues to adapt workflows and deliverable products as necessary
- Master’s degree in Remote Sensing, Geoscience, Geography, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related field is preferred; exceptional candidates with a Bachelor’s degree and related research experience will be considered
- 2-4 years of experience working with remote sensing data through a combination of education, research, and/or work experience
- Understand fundamental preprocessing requirements (orthorectification, radiometric calibration, atmospheric correction, etc.) for various applications
- Experience scripting geospatial workflows for data exploration, statistical tests, model development, and/or accuracy assessment (R or python preferred, skills in similar languages acceptable)
- Proficient in ENVI, QGIS, and/or similar geographical software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent time management skills and detail-oriented