Spatial Data Scientist - R&D
Satelytics is seeking a self-driven, highly motivated spatial data scientist to join our Research and Development Team. We seek leaders who wish to help us define a new market, apply geospatial analytics to a wide variety of energy industry challenges, and extract new insights from remote sensing data sources.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be familiar with spatial statistics and machine learning applications using remotely sensed data and imagery.
- Be a creative problem solver, not a list follower.
- Be excited to develop innovative solutions using spatial data.
This position involves innovating new solutions that quickly deliver actionable results to our customers. The Research and Development Team is charged with blazing new trails — creating new algorithms that enhance our “many solutions from one dataset” mantra.
The position requires experience in a scripting language (typically R or Python), fundamental GIS skills, and spatial statistics and machine learning experience. Successful candidates will have proven experience in remote sensing and GIS through education or work experience and be skilled in machine learning applications.
The position is located on-site in our Perrysburg, Ohio office.
- Paid Time off
- 401(k) with matching
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Research and innovation
- Approach challenges creatively through a combination of experience, literature reviews, and innovation.
- Use commercial and publicly available imagery to develop, test, and implement new algorithms.
- Understand, develop, and execute machine learning/AI algorithms and explain results to management, others within the organization, and clients.
- Assist others in the organization with data science needs, education, or troubleshooting.
- Communicate ideas for improvements and new algorithms.
- Occasionally serve as an expert during client meetings.
- Data management and quality assurance
- Work with the Professional Services Team to supply accurately referenced and formatted project deliverables.
- Review feedback from customers, project leaders, and colleagues to adapt workflows and deliverable products.
- Review and qualify algorithm outputs. Provide and document expected accuracies and constraints of development processes.
- Research and innovation
- Master’s degree in Data Science, machine learning, statistics, mathematics, remote sensing, geoscience, geography, or a related field; exceptional candidates with a Bachelor’s degree will also be considered.
- 2-4 years of experience working with spatial data through a combination of education, research, and/or work experience.
- Proven scripting experience in R and/or Python.
- Machine learning/AI/deep learning experience using geospatial data.
- Familiar with a variety of remotely sensed imagery and applications.
- Proficient with QGIS or similar geographical software.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently on projects and assignments.
- Willingness to learn new skills and collaborate with peers.