• Power Utilities
Get a Second Opinion
Gas and Electric Utilities
- Problem: A host of challenges demand a new approach.
- Solution: Geospatial analytics.
- Benefit: A better way to manage your assets and reduce risk.
Has someone ever told you to get a second opinion? When I have been told that, it is usually in response to a medical condition or making a big purchase. The opportunities for earth observation are increasing greatly and when connected with science-backed analytics, an incredible tool is made available, offering a unique perspective on your assets. Is there a better way of managing your assets and reducing risk? Get a second opinion and new perspective with Satelytics.
Satelytics’ measurement algorithms are developed to provide solutions to specific business challenges faced by our industry customers. The algorithms detect and, in many cases, quantify constituents in parts per million (ppm) to parts per trillion (ppt) concentrations on land and in water and air. This capability is akin to performing spectroscopy, but instead of being done in a lab on a small sample, measurements are completed using sensors on a satellite or other imaging platform over land and water assets.
Large, dispersed gas and electric infrastructure is exposed to many threats from both human and natural occurrences. These are the requests we get most often from our customers who are seeking ways to reduce their risk.
Think about these possibilities and perspectives:
- The most pressing concern we hear from our utility customers is that encroachments in the corridor or right-of-way cost them significant amounts of money every year. With Satelytics’ Constant Vigilance™ algorithms, you can reduce risk through proactive monitoring for trees and vegetation, vehicles, agricultural activities, construction, erosion, and digging.
- Satelytics’ algorithms combined with high-resolution satellite imagery provide our electric utility customers with a new perspective on their overhead assets and points where risk exists. When a specific tree species drives recurring damages to transmission and distribution lines, Satelytics speciates trees and locates them with latitude/longitude coordinates accurate to within two feet. We also provide analytics for tree density, height, health, and canopy area encroachment in the wiring zone.
- From the same set of satellite data used for overhead utility monitoring, Satelytics can provide a second look at buried assets for gas distribution. Our gas utility customers are using satellite earth observation to alert them to dangerous activities in the ROW, including digging, construction, land movements, loss of cover, vegetation management and speciation, and erosions at water crossings. All Satelytics’ alerts are ready for viewing a couple of hours after satellite overpass and are tied to a specific ID numbers and coordinates. These alerts can drive work orders and operational activities, directing personnel only to the areas that need their expertise, which reduces costs.
- A new capability for our utility customers is the ability to automate their gas leak survey programs. Our Constant Vigilance™ algorithms detect methane concentration as low as 10 ppm and quantify the leak rate as low as 450 SCFH, pinpointing the source to within 3 meters. With the ability to quantify, our methane algorithm can also drive compliance reporting.
- We are also hearing from many of our utility customers that they can reduce insurance premiums by deploying advanced monitoring tools like geospatial analytics over their networks. For many, this becomes a zero-sum implementation or even reduction in spending when incidents and miles driven are considered.
Is there a better way of managing your assets, reducing risk? Get a second opinion and new perspective with Satelytics.